Pages

My Blog List

Thursday, October 20, 2011

The challenges of staying healthy during the holidays

I don't know about you, but I find the most difficult time of year to watch my weight and resist temptation is the period of time between Halloween and New Years Day.  On Halloween I try to buy candy that the kids like but I can resist.  In other words, I won't buy bags of candy containing either Almond Joys or Mounds.  The problem I have with chocolate is that one candy bar can easily turn into one more and so on.  I am fortunate that after Halloween we do not usually have candy left because we get so many trick or treaters in our neighborhood.  Otherwise, I would find a way to share it so there wouldn't be treats around the house tempting me! 

My family and I have a tradition every year of eating our Thanksgiving holiday meal at a restaurant.  The best part is not having to deal with all the leftovers. This way we are able to enjoy the food and festivities for one day and not worry about counting calories.   The day after the holiday it is back to our normal healthy eating habits.  I love this because it enables me to spend more quality time with my family than if I had spent the day slaving in the kitchen.  Has anyone ever taken a cruise either during the Thanksgiving or Christmas holidays? If so, what was it like and would you recommend it?

Here is some food for thought as we approach Halloween.  The number of calories in a fun size Hershey's milk chocolate bar (16 gm) is 67.  Here are a few suggestions of ways to burn 100 calories after eating a treat!

- 15 minutes of gardening
- brisk walking for 15 minutes
- dancing for 20 minutes
- playing golf for 20 minutes
- 20 minutes of climbing stairs
- 10 minutes of aerobic exercise
- mow the lawn for 25 minutes
- 15 minutes of weight training

No comments:

Post a Comment