Pages

My Blog List

Thursday, October 20, 2011

Coping with the winter blues

The colder temperatures are starting to return to Buffalo, NY.  This can only mean one thing.  In another month we will likely begin to see the return of snow to our area.   I love spending time outdoors during the spring, summer and fall months.  My long walks in the fresh air are emotionally uplifting and help me to unwind after a stressful day.  I wish I could say I enjoyed winter sports like skiing or ice skating.  Unfortunately, my preference is for activities I can do in warmer weather such as hiking or taking bicycle rides. 

Since I have moved to the the Buffalo area, I have learned how to more effectively cope with the long winters.  It is important that I exercise at least 5 days a week.  Staying active boosts my energy level and gives me something to look forward to.  I prefer going to the gym over working out at home because I enjoy the social interaction.  Fitness classes are a great way to try something new as well as providing opportunities to make new friends.

I enjoy going to church every week and staying active in my community. My friends organized a Girls Night Out and we meet one evening a month.  It is so important to make the effort to be social and get out of the house when you are feeling blue.  It will help take your mind off the isolation you might be feeling because you are spending more time indoors.  Meet a friend for a coffee or beer, go out to lunch, go shopping at the mall, or visit a museum.

Maybe you could look into taking a class through a community education program in your city or at a local college.  It is a wonderful way to learn something new.  If you stay busy, you might not be thinking so much about the lousy weather!

No comments:

Post a Comment