Pages

My Blog List

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Lighter Broccoli Cheese Soup


I love broccoli cheese soup.  I was trying to come up with a lower fat recipe my family could enjoy. I experimented and after a couple of tries was pleased with the outcome.  I added a blend of 3 different cheeses to this recipe.  I added 1 cup each of Jarlsberg Light Swiss cheese, non fat cheddar, and ultra sharp regular cheddar.  It helped to add 1 cup of regular cheese for a smoother texture.  Using all non fat or light cheeses made it too difficult for the cheeses to melt and combine well for the soup.  This recipe yields 9 servings at approximately 250 calories per serving.

Lighter Broccoli Cheese Soup 

1 cup chopped onions
1/2 cup chopped carrots
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1/4 whole wheat pastry flour (or regular flour)
4 cups lowfat milk
2 cups fat free half and half
1 cup chicken broth
sprinkle cayenne pepper
sprinkle nutmeg
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup fat free cheddar
1 cup light swiss cheese (I used Jarlsberg light)
1 cup sharp cheddar cheese
4 cups chopped broccoli

Saute chopped onions and carrots in 2 Tablespoons olive oil until tender, about 4 minutes.


Add the 1/4 flour to the sauteed vegetables and stir to combine.  Add milk, half and half, chicken broth, cayenne pepper, nutmeg, salt and pepper, and cheeses.  Stir gently until cheese is melted.


I placed the mixture in the blender once the cheeses melted and before adding the brocolli to make the mixture smoother on the medium setting for about 2 minutes.  Chop the broccoli into small bite sized pieces.


Add the chopped broccoli to the soup mixture and cook over medium heat for about 6 minutes until the broccoli is tender.


This recipe yields about 9 servings at 250 calories per serving. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment