Pages

My Blog List

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Homemade Pizza


My husband was traveling out of town on business last week and I thought wouldn't be fun to relax and have a pizza for dinner?  I enjoy pizza, but I prefer to stick with a healthier thin whole wheat crust.  The pizza sauce recipe I tried did not require the ingredients to be heated on the stove.  I was skeptical about how it would turn out, but it tasted great.  I found the sauce recipe on the allrecipes website.  As pictured one slice of this pizza has approximately 235 calories.

Whole Wheat Pizza Dough

2 cups whole wheat flour
1 package active dry yeast
3/4 tsp. salt
1 cup hot water
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 tablespoon honey

In a large mixing bowl combine whole wheat flour, yeast and salt.


Blend in water, oil and honey.  Stir vigorously until all ingredients are  mixed well.  Cover with plastic wrap and let dough rise to desired size.  While the dough is rising, you can begin preparing the pizza sauce as it needs to sit for a half hour for the flavors to blend.


Place dough in greased jelly roll pan or 12-14 inch pizza pan.  I sprayed the pan surface with  non stick cooking spray.


Pizza Sauce Recipe

6 oz. can tomato paste
6 oz. warm water
3 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon minced garlic
2 tablespoons honey
3/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
1/4 teaspoon dried basil 
1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/8 tsp. dried red pepper flakes
salt to taste

In a small bowl combine the tomato past, parmesan cheese, garlic, honey, onion powder, marjoram, basil, ground black pepper, cayenne pepper, red pepper flakes, and salt breaking up any clumps of parmesan cheese.


Sauce should sit for 30 minutes to let the flavors blend.  Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.  Once sauce is ready, spread over the pizza dough.


I sprinkled some freshly grated parmesan on the pizza sauce.  For toppings, I chopped some fresh onions and red, yellow, and orange peppers.  I also added sliced black olives. 


 I used about 1 and 1/2 cups of part skim mozzarella to make the pizza.


Place in a preheated oven and cook for about 15-20 minutes until crust is golden brown and toppings are done.  Yields approximately 8 servings at 235 calories.  Enjoy!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment