Pages

My Blog List

Friday, February 17, 2012

Traditional Black Beans and Rice


I served this side dish along with the chicken fajitas I prepared.  It is a little spicy and has a bit of a kick.  I shared the fajitas recipe in my previous blog entry.  This recipe appeared on the back of a can of Bush's black beans. I prepared brown rice in my rice cooker to serve with the black beans.  I have been using brown basmati rice as I love the flavor and it is a great source of dietary fiber (16% of the daily requirement in one serving).  There are approximately 107 calories in one serving of the black beans and rice dish.

Traditional Black Beans and Rice

1 Tablespoon olive oil
3/4 cup chopped onions
1/2 cup finely chopped green pepper
1 cup tomatoes, diced
1 can (15 oz) black beans, drain and reserve juice (I used the low sodium variety)
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1 teaspoon garlic salt
3 tablespoons cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon hot sauce (I used Tabasco sauce)
2 cups cooked rice
Lime wedge or sliced mango (optional)

Finely chop the green pepper.  To facilitate this process, I used my Kitchen Aid mini chopper to finely grind the pepper.


In a skillet heat the olive oil.  Add the chopped peppers and onions and cook until tender. 



Dice fresh tomatoes to add to the onion and pepper mixture.


Stir in tomatoes, beans, thyme and garlic salt, cook 3 minutes.  Add vinegar, hot pepper sauce,  and reserved juice, continue to cook for 5 minutes. 


Serve over warmed rice.  Add a lime wedge or sliced mango if desired.  This recipe yields 6 servings at approximately 107 calories.

No comments:

Post a Comment