Pages

My Blog List

Saturday, December 17, 2011

Cardamon Citrus Salad


I recently purchased oranges and grapefruits from a friend for a fundraiser and wanted to make a fruit salad for my family to enjoy. This recipe brought out the natural flavors of the fruit and the cardamon added just the perfect amount of spice and flavor. I was in sticker shock over the high price of the ground cardamon spice at the supermarket ($13). I purchased green cardamon pods in the international section of my local market and ground it myself as it was less than half the price. In a saucepan on medium heat I sauteed 6 pods for about 3 minutes. I mashed the pods on a cutting board with a potato masher and carefully removed the seeds. I placed the mashed seeds in a coffee grinder and ground it up until it was fine. This is the amount I used in the following recipe.

There are about 250 calories in 1/4 cup of honey. Honey helps to build immunity against illness. It is an excellent source of vitamins and minerals. Honey is high in vitamin C, a variety of B vitamins, and also A1, D and E.

Cardamon Citrus Salad

2 large ruby pink grapefruit
6 navel oranges
1/4 cup honey
4 TBS. fresh lime or lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon ground cardamon (or 6 pods green cardamon ground)

Peel and section the fruit and place in a bowl. Drain the excess juice from the bowl and pour into a saucepan. Add the lemon or lime juice, honey, and cardamon to the saucepan. Bring to a boil and reduce the heat to low. Simmer for 10 minutes and remove from heat. Let cool to room temperature. Pour over fruit mixture and gently stir to coat the fruit. Let stand for 15 minutes or chill until ready to serve. Yield approximately 6 to 8 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment