Pages

My Blog List

Monday, December 26, 2011

My painful memories of being overweight

My weight loss journey helped to restore my confidence and self esteem.  I can only hope by sharing my story I might move past that period in my life when I was not taking very good care of myself.  I was struggling to adjust to the dark long days of a typical Buffalo winter after moving from Virginia.  For me solace was found in comfort foods.  I will not post a picture or share the amount of weight I had lost.  Only that it was a very difficult and emotionally painful period for me.  I no longer would recognize that woman, a shade of my former self.  It has been 4 years since I have lost the weight, and I have no doubt that I will never let my emotions control my relationship with food again.

My husband says, how do you know that, how can you be so sure of what the future holds? I can only say this, and maybe someone else out there knows where I am coming from.  When I look at old pictures of myself, it takes me to a place I never want to go again.  I can't do it again, I have found an inner peace I have never known before.  My emotions no longer drive my relationship with food.  I will tell you this, I found the habits which drove my compulsion much more difficult to control when I was eating the wrong foods.  A big change I have made is give up eating junk and surgary snack foods.  End of story, that is how I did it.  Another thing I credit with my transformation is making the time for exercise.  I've always enjoyed exercising and working out, but being a busy Mom made the choice to be active a much more challenging proposition.

For most of my life I had not seriously struggled with my weight.  I put on most, if not all of the weight shortly after I moved to the Buffalo area.  Seasonal depression is a very serious condition.  Don't brush it off, I know from personal experience how difficult it can be.  I have learned how to cope, going to the gym and staying active in my community has helped me tremendously. You don't have to face it alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment